So, the Holidays are here once again… time to start the shopping! And, if you’re searching Pinterest for “simple decorations for Christmas”, I totally understand. These holidays are a lot of work!
- excited about getting the house ready for Christmas, but dreading the actual decorating?
- anxious to get your decorating finished ASAP, but can’t seem to find the time to start?
- overwhelmed with all of the boxes labeled, “Christmas” when you go in the attic?
- bored with the same old uncoordinated décor items?
- trying to achieve an elegant, cohesive look throughout the house?
Well, you are in luck, my friend! Here, I am going to give you a little tour of my living room, to show you my simple decorations for Christmas. Hopefully, this will provide inspiration to:
- keep decorating simple, while eliminating “holiday overwhelm”
- decorate the house early, without stressing about it
- sit back and enjoy your home, family, guests, and the entire holiday season
Simple Decorations for Christmas
I love this time of the year so much, and I have been beyond excited to spend our first Christmas in our new home! However, the holidays arrived a little too fast for us this year. As soon as I had finished unpacking from our recent move in October, it was time to decorate for Christmas!
Now generally speaking, my seasonal household decor is pretty modest. That’s just my style. But, for Holiday 2016 we wanted really simple decorations for Christmas. Since we were still exhausted from the move, we just wanted to relax and enjoy the season, without too much fuss.
Holiday Door Decoration – Square Boxwood Wreath
Don’t feel that you have to go overboard with decorations for Christmas. Sometimes, less is more!
We had a fresh Boxwood square wreath on the front door this holiday season.
I ordered the wreath in November, and it arrived a day or two before Thanksgiving. Although it began to dry after a couple of weeks, it continued to look beautiful until New Year’s.
I really love decorating with Boxwood. It’s so “casually elegant”! See my year-round, everyday Boxwood decorations here.
Living Room Christmas Decorations
In my living room, I trimmed the tree in earth-tones and metallics. Then, I wrapped the gifts in coordinating gift wrap. Since you’ll place all of those presents beneath the tree, they might as well be a part of the décor!
To see the details on my gift-wrapping supplies, check out this post.
I just love the Christmas tree at night…I truly miss it when the Holidays are over!
Elements of Nature and Sparkly Accents
Glittery ornaments and elements of nature embellish the tree with just the right amount of sparkle!
Display your absolute favorites – don’t feel like you have to use everything you have!
Candles & Greenery
For our holiday housewarming party, we decorated with tall pillar candles in glass hurricane holders. We placed the candles on the console, on a lush backdrop of seasonal fresh greenery. Then, we accented the greenery with miniature gold ornaments.
This is one of my favorite elements of the decor because it’s so simple, yet so lovely!
Since the party was catered, these candles were rentals. So, after the party, I replaced them with my own flameless wax pillars. This allowed us to enjoy the display for the remainder of the season.
I plan to purchase similar glass pillar candle holders very soon. These will really come in handy for entertaining! Here are a few options I’m considering:
Coffee Table Decor
Here, I placed some of my favorite traditional glass ornaments in a bowl (similar) on the coffee table. I just love the way the lights on the tree are reflected in the shiny and mirrored surfaces in the room!
Also on the coffee table is a Michael Aram candle. I have recently started collecting these candles because they are so beautiful. (I have not burned one yet, but I will be sure to let you know what the scents are like when I do!)
What I like about these so much is that most of them are in mixed finishes of silver and gold. This makes them effortless to coordinate with any decor, in any season.
How to Select Elegant & Simple Decorations for Christmas
Follow these tips to make it easy to decorate your home for Christmas . You’ll be finished decorating in no time, so you can sit back and enjoy the entire holiday season!
1. Select simple décor that incorporates elements of nature
- Examples are pine cones, acorns, branches, greenery, fresh flowers, or dried flowers.
- Whether truly natural, or man-made items, these types of décor are beautiful in their simplicity. They are lovely to look at on their own. Furthermore, they won’t look overdone, in any setting.
2. Incorporate natural greenery on your front door, as well as inside your home
- Natural greenery adds a richness that is lacking in artificial décor. Plus, natural greenery will look beautiful as it dries. As a result, it can be enjoyed throughout the entire season.
3. Coordinate décor items throughout your home
- When trying to keep the décor simple, you don’t need many decorations. However, your chosen decorations for Christmas should tell a story and create a cohesive palette.
4. Coordinate the gifts with the décor
- Wrap gifts in paper and bags that complement the other decorations.
- In this way, the gifts underneath the tree become an extension of the decor, rather than a separate element.
- This technique will make your simple decorations appear lush and well thought-out.
5. Less is more
- Don’t feel that you have to put out every Christmas decoration you own. On the contrary, just use the pieces you absolutely adore. This will make you love the finished product even more!
- Incorporate your most favorite ornaments, leaving the others behind.
- Place additional decorative items that complement your favorites, where needed.
6. Decorate with candles
- Candles are easy, inexpensive, simple, and beautiful.
- When small children are around, use flameless candles. Many of the wax flameless candles available are quite realistic, and worry-free. And, they are available in all sizes –large pillar candles in varying heights, votives, and tea lights.
7. Showcase a collection of your favorite traditional glass ornaments in a beautiful bowl
- This makes a perfect accent for your coffee table or console.
- Complement this with coordinating items, to tell a “story”. Ideas are:
- Christmas books or magazines
- A favorite figurine
- A Poinsettia or other Christmas plant
- A holiday floral arrangement
- An Orchid in an elegant container
Decorate Simply & Early
Decorate simply and early, using only your favorite items, so you can sit back and enjoy the holidays.
Christmas is so overdone on so many levels. It’s easy to feel like we have to go over the top with gift giving, cooking, decorating, etc. But, it doesn’t have to be this way.
Less is more! You can enjoy the natural beauty of simple decorations for Christmas just as much, if not more, than elaborate decorations.
The best Christmas is the one that we enjoy!
How to Host a Holiday Party that will Delight
Mardi Gras Decorations that will Make You Look Festive
Simple & Stunning Valentine’s Day Home Decor Ideas You Need to Know
How to Make Your Home Look Amazing for Spring
Easy Halloween Decorations that will Look Absolutely Amazing